Monday, November 14, 2011

When in the mood for the Orient

I can't claim this dish to be of a certain origin, but it is a combination of different recipes to create a soup with ingredients I already had on hand. The meatballs were premade and in the freezer from a Cookday that I do every 6-8 weeks. All I really had to do was get those and some broth out of the freezer (homemade) and away there it was! I also made some fresh spring rolls. Let me know if you want the recipe, they turned out fantastic!

Glass Noodle Meatball Soup

10-12 meatballs, 1 inch when baked
8 C broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 T Fish Sauce
1 t soy sauce
Dash ginger
6 oz vermicelli noodles, broken up into 2 inch pieces
4 green onions, diced small
2 C shredded bok choy cabbage


Meatballs:
1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup minced onion
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 t minced parsley
1/2 t salt
<1/8 t black pepper
1 egg

Make meatballs with a mix of any ground meat.
You can drop this into the boiling broth and cook thoroughly or bake separately and drop into the broth later. I prefer the later as the broth is clearer when meat is cooked separately.
When broth and liquids have boiled and meat is cooked, add noodles and vegetables.
Soup will be done in 6 minutes when noodles are clear and soft.