Tuesday, November 22, 2011

“Costco Roasted Chicken” Soup

Ok, you had one of those amazing roasted chickens from Costco for dinner. It served 4 people, but there’s not enough left for another meal. What do you do? Create a soup of course! By looking at the vegetables, herbs and spices you have on hand you can determine the type of soup you can make. Get all the ingredients out and immediately begin getting all the remaining meat off the bone. After doing that you just have carcass and skin left. Grab a large pot and put the remaining carcass and skin into the pot. Fill it with water and place it on the stove on high.

The vegetables I decided to use were:

3 potatoes, ½ red pepper, 1 medium onion, 5 cloves of garlic, 4 stalks of celery, and 3 small carrots.

I wanted to eat soon, so I got out another soup pot and placed it on the burner. I put a little canola oil in the bottom and warmed it up.
After dicing all the fresh ingredients, I turned up the oil to medium. I sautéed the onion, then added the garlic and the rest as they were ready.
With a bowl on the side for vegetable garbage, I began cutting the vegetables. All discards went into the bowl.
While I was dicing, 2 quarts of previously frozen chicken broth was thawing in the microwave. One had lots of chicken meat in it from a previously devoured “Costco Roasted Chicken”.

After about 10 minutes of sautéing the vegetables I added the chicken that I had picked off the bone and the 2 quarts of broth. Immediately I realized it looked like a stew instead of a soup, so I added 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of organic “Better than Bouillon” chicken base. That too was a Costco purchase.

http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon

I also added 3 Tablespoons of minced fresh parsley, 6 twists of ground black pepper and a pinch of kosher salt. When I purchase or grow a fresh herb, often I prepare it for a recipe and freeze what I don’t use for the winter when it isn’t readily available in my garden. The parsley was in a bag in my freezer.

After simmering for 20 minutes we ate the soup! The leftovers I placed in quart containers and brought to a sick loved one.

What about the simmering carcass? No, I didn't forget it. I placed all vegetable discards in the pot as well as 4 cloves of garlic smashed with peel on. After 3 hours I let it cool, strained it, then put the broth in the fridge for my next soup concoction. While draining the carcass additional meat appeared which went right into the broth. The bowl of broth will sit tonight in the fridge where the fat rises. I will skim of the hardened fat in the morning and it will be ready to put in quart freezer containers.

Costco Roasted Chicken” Soup
3 Cups cooked diced chicken
2 quarts chicken broth
6 Cups diced and sautéed vegetables of your choice
Minced parsley
Pepper and salt to taste
Cook until vegetables are the consistency that you like and enjoy!
Great with roasted garlic artisan bread!

Leftovers can be frozen for lunch at another date or eaten the next day.